Wolfdale overclocking thread!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, May 3, 2008.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

My ram will do close to 600Mhz easy @ the rated 2.1V and my mobo is fine wish my CPU had a x9 multiplier or even x8 :dance:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I bought cheap RAM, but it's a good excuse to keep the clockspeed down. My room is so much cooler now! I'm enjoying it! :lol:

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yee, greedy :p 4.1Ghz is fast enough la! :p

4. Chai

Damn, not stable at 455MHz, now settling at 450MHz.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'm back to 2.2v, even better stability compared to 2.275v :haha: 2.2v is the voltage that I always used to run at 434MHz when I was using my E6850. Currently it runs fine at 467MHz with the same voltage.

I was pretty close to getting the modules to run at 478MHz, but prime95 blend test failed after 5 hours. Maybe I will try play around with the timings and see if it helps any. Currently still running at stock timings (5-5-5-15).

Looks like 4.3GHz is almost the highest this processor can go without needing more than 1.4v.

6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Hee hee :D

Well I am quite sure my issue is the E6550 I have been doing some research and it seems to be the luck of the draw with that one. Anything over 7x435 here starts to stress my cache on the CPU. Its not temps the CPU and cores usually run around 45C under load. Running the Everest stability test everything stays green right up to 7x442 until I include cache in the test it almost immediately goes red. XP runs stable up to 7x440 Vista X64 starts to get flaky around 7x438.

Look at this article and you will see one of these E6550's is acting almost exactly the same as mine :think:

intel core 2 duo e6550 review and overclocking

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Awesome! :)

How about the E7200? It's cheap too... wish I had one but I don't have a good gfx card to pair up with it, and what else, I need a motherboard that supports that too! :D

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Not as good according to ZuePhok, needs high voltage for 4GHz.

9. Chai

Seems like I needed more voltage to run at 4ghz. 1.27V is not too bad, it's only slightly more power consuming than E6850 at stock volt running at 3.4GHz only!

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Mine need 1.25v ever since I turned on C1E and flashed new mainboard bios. For 4.2GHz, it requires 1.34v now instead of 1.32~1.33v. Not sure which one is the reason why it needs an extra 0.01v now.

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think I will settle at 467x9=4.2GHz @ 1.34~1.35v, my ram simply won't run at 478MHz, Firefox and other software crashes while prime95 is still running, even blend test :haha: It will take a while before it gives any error.

[​IMG]

12. Chai

The EIST doesn't seem as effective as on E6850. The voltage is still quite high, I think this is the reason why 45nm didn't fare so well in the idle power consumption.

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, right now my E8400 idles at 2.8GHz @ 1.24v, that's an awful lot of voltage just for 2.8GHz and only 0.1v drop from 1.34v during full load.

Attached Files:

14. Chai

You have 0.1v drop, I only have 0.06v drop from 1.25v to 1.19v!

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Possibly that's the voltage required to maintain the L2 cache contents. When they are not running, the processing cores should have no problem running at lower voltages.

16. Chai

I don't know what is the real reason, but I don't think that's the reason. 45nm is rated to run from 0.825v to 1.325v, roughly there.

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't think that's the reason too, because it can run at 4GHz with that voltage.

18. Chai

This is crazy! 3.8GHz at stock voltage! Wolfdale rocks! I'm going to use stock voltage and bump up to 4.05GHz when I need the speed.

The EIST isn't as effective on E8400. :( The lowest VID is only 1.125. :( It's supposed to drop about 0.125V, but it's only dropping 0.07V on my system. :(

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4GHz is the sweet spot for me, but I couldn't resist running it as fast as possible :haha:

20. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hey guys can anyone run occt and post pic after 10min while taking full stress at 4Ghz ???
    Chai if still crushes on high clock like 4.1 lower down speed of ddr set up latency from exp. 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 or 5-6-6-18 and push normal ov for ddr like 1.8 to 1.86 dont push it to 1.9 or 2v
    and dont forget to shut down dual channel mode
    if you are using x38 or P35 you should push 0.1v on chipset to let u push more on cpu
    i have few cheap modules here from kingmax and Adata
    chips are great and they can stand from 1.9v to 2.1 but they cant stand a heat
    i use Geil (with ecc mod) 667mhz it can stand easly a 950mhz and it is great

ddr moding tool :
    http://www.techpowerup.com/spdtool/SPDTool_062.zip
    pm me if you need help with this tool
    occt tool:
    http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe